See the QuiltNSW Calendar for a comprehensive listing of QuiltNSW activities and events.
Since 1983 Community Quilts has been making and donating quilts on behalf of QuiltNSW. It is a voluntary project where members meet to sew quilts for the community and to date over 3,300 quilts have been donated. Our aim is to encourage a more homely atmosphere for others.
On-going commitments are to Royal Far West Children’s Home in Manly and to foster children in NSW. Quilts are also donated to various nursing homes, several refuges such as Street Kids and Baptist Church Inner City Refuge and for raffles to raise money for community organisations.
All quilt tops are made prior to meetings and the quilts are pinned and machine quilted on sewing days which are held monthly. No hand sewing is done due to the ‘utility’ style of the quilts. The quilts require only basic, straight line quilting so no expert knowledge is required. Pinners and machine quilters are warmly welcomed on sewing days.
Members who are unable to attend sewing days but would like to participate in Community Quilts are encouraged to take quilts home to machine quilt. They are single size and not difficult to handle on a domestic machine.
Roslyn Moules, Community Quilts Co-ordinator, may be contacted through the QuiltNSW office.
QuiltNSW has information booths at various events throughout the year. We are open to having a presence at events, including our Quilt Hoop Display installation – if you are interested in having us at your event, please contact Margy Syrett through the QuiltNSW office by emailing email@example.com
Friday showcase is an informal but informative meeting held quarterly in the Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts which is right next door to the Guild Office.
The small charge of $5 members and $10 visitors must be paid at the door. Please bring the exact amount. COVID safe conditions for attending Friday Showcase
- The guild office will open at 10 am for members and visitors wishing to drop their bags, library books, community quilts to the office.
- Sign in at SMSA auditorium from 10.45 for the start at 11am. The starting time is 11am, one hour later than previously.
- Bring a mask to wear when mingling to look at the quilts at the end of the presentation
- It is not expected that there will be any refreshments offered in the office before or after the Showcase.
(There is a very nice café at street level below the office)
- The office will be closed while the showcase is underway and will then reopen at the conclusion of the showcase for the changeover of the quilts hanging.
- Some of the above conditions may change at short notice.
- See the Calendar for the proposed Speakers
From 2022, in-person general meetings will be at the Sydney Mechanics School of Arts at 280 Pitt Street Sydney, right next door to the QuiltNSW office. The premises have recently been renovated providing us with up to date audio, internet and technical facilities which will allow us to host Zoom presenters. This venue is close to the Town Hall railway station and numerous car parking stations. The coffee shop downstairs is open on Saturdays and there are other food venues nearby.
May General Meeting: Saturday 14 May
- Where: Sydney Mechanics School of Arts, 280 Pitt Street, Sydney
- When: Doors open at 9.40am
- Meeting: commences at 10am – 12.30 Saturday 14 March 2022
- Guest speaker: Catherine Porter
Catherine will be sharing her Ralli Quilts.
Future General Meetings
Future general meetings are scheduled as follows:
- 20 August – Market Day
- 17 September
- 15 October
- 19 November
If you have any suggestions for guest speakers or demonstrators, email Meeting Coordinator Kathy Lester.
QuiltNSW travels from the city to the country for a meetings when possible. It is usually a great opportunity to meet QuiltNSW members around the state as we visit member groups along the way and we look forward to resuming post COVID-19.
Pop Up Sewing Days
An opportunity for members to stitch together while working on their own project. These ‘days’ are often held in fabric stores all over Sydney and now, extending to our regional areas, on different days of the week to fit into the schedule. The days usually start around 10am. Numbers are limited so it is essential that you reserve your place. Morning Tea and a lucky door prize are usually included. There are numerous lunch options nearby or lunch can be ordered and delivered.
Not only are these days a lovely way to spend your time but they are a FREE event for individual financial members only.
For the most part, we hold our Pop Up Sewing Days in patchwork stores so if you are a store owner and would like to host a pop up sewing day in your store, please email us. We look forward to hearing from you.
Pop Up Sewing Day at Thorpe & Co
- Date: Saturday 25 June 2022 NEW DATE
- Time: 9.30-2.30pm
- Address: Thorpe & Co, 15a Main Road Boolaroo
- Maximum: limit of 12 participants
Registrations essential BOOKINGS NOW OPEN
Morning tea will be provided and there are lunch options nearby. Parking is round the corner in First Street. This day is free for QuiltNSW members.
Jenny Chapman, Pop Up Sewing Day Coordinator
Pop up Sewing Day at Lorraines Patchwork Blackheath
- Date: Saturday 30 July 2022
- Time: 9.30am – 2.30pm
- Address : 64A Govetts Leap Rd, Blackheath NSW 2785
Registration Essential BOOKINGS OPEN TBA
September 8/9 – 11th, 2022
The 2022 QuiltNSW retreat will be held at the St Joseph’s Conference and Retreat Centre, located in an expansive and tranquil setting on Kincumber Broadwater at Kincumber South, an easy 1hr 30 mins drive north of Sydney. This venue comes highly recommended.
- All accommodation is accessible ( on the ground floor or by lift) with each room having its own ensuite. Rooms are single or twin share.
- The sewing room has good natural and artificial light. there is no set time to vacate the room each day so we can sew until the wee hours if we want!
- Home cooked meals are prepared onsite. Special dietary requirements(medical) are catered for.
- You may work on any projects of your choosing – hand or machine
- Non-sewing activities available include (swimming (for those brave enough) in the onsite outdoor pool, walking/jogging/bird watching in the extensive grounds and retail therapy in the local shops.
There are two options for the retreat:
- 2 nights/3 days (Friday to Sunday) – Accommodation (Friday/Saturday) and all meals, including morning and afternoon tea, from dinner on Friday to lunch on Sunday.
- 3 nights/4 days (Thursday to Sunday) – Accommodation (Thursday/Friday/Saturday) and all meals including morning and afternoon tea, from dinner on Thursday to lunch on Sunday.
$350 per person for two nights (Friday to Sunday)
$510 per person for 3 nights (Thursday to Sunday)
Booking form opens 10AM Tuesday 1 June here
Maximum number of participants is 30. A minimum deposit of $50 is required to secure a place. If you would like to attend, make sure to book as early as possible. the last retreat booked out in 2 days.
Full payment is due by Monday 1 August 2022
Please note the retreat is only open to QuiltNSW financial members (at the time of the booking and at the time of the retreat).
Enquiries should be directed to the retreat coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or the QuiltNSW office on 0292833737.
Quilt Study exists to promote interest and research into quilting, particularly in New South Wales and is a sub-committee of QuiltNSW. Members are committed to the study of quilts past and present with this study encompassing the social and historical context in which the quilts were made as well as designs, techniques and materials used in both vintage and contemporary quilts.
The dates times and venue for Quilt Study talks in 2022 are being scheduled.
Sip and Sew
Do you want to enjoy the company of fellow quilters without leaving home? Kaye Jamieson, President of QuiltNSW, is hosting ‘Sip and Sew’ on Zoom on the first Friday of each month. Just register in advance via the e-newsletter for a Zoom link, supply your own beverage of choice and log in between 6.30 and 9.30pm with your hand sewing ready to go! Hope to see you there!