QuiltNSW is excited to relaunch The New Quilt at Hawkesbury Regional Gallery, Windsor, NSW from 5 February – 11 April 2021.
The New Quilt is a juried survey exhibition showcasing the art of quilting that reflects the richness and diversity of contemporary expressions of the quilt medium in Australia.
The call for entries encouraged entrants to: submit their best work reflecting their creative practice; “Think big, think bold – be adventurous!”; and to explore different ways of presenting their work. A panel, comprised of artists Judy Hooworth and Anna Brown and Hawkesbury Regional Gallery curator Elissa Blair, selected 40 works from over 100 entries.
The final selection is an opportunity to experience an amazing array of creativity and innovation from across quilting Australia. Visitors may find themselves redefining their perception of a quilt, beyond layering of materials, to that of an artwork full of aesthetic impact, technical skill and powerful storytelling. This fascinating exhibition includes two-dimensional and three-dimensional sculptural works in a range of materials and styles, responding to many of the challenges we have faced in 2020 including bushfires and Covid- 19, as well as environmental challenges, new life, revenge and sheer joy! Not to be missed!
A comprehensive public program is under development with both in-person and virtual events. Mark your calendars. Plan an art excursion!
The New Quilt 2021 Artists
Pictured in the header image: Sheer Joy (detail) by Rachaeldaisy Dodd
In conjunction with The New Quilt, the heritage quilt Miss Grace’s Quilt by Sophia Wilbow of Pitt Town, Windsor (1829–1924) will also be on display. QuiltNSW acknowledges the support of Hawkesbury City Council and Hawkesbury Regional Gallery in hosting The New Quilt exhibition.
On exhibition: 5 February – 11 April 2021
Gallery hours: Open 6 days a week Monday, Wednesday-Friday 10am-4pm
Saturday-Sunday 10am-3pm Closed on Tuesday and public holidays
- Sunday 7 February 1am-12noon: join jurors Anna Brown and Judy Hooworth as they share insights about factors that informed their selection and reflect on the development of quilts as an art medium. FREE. Book tickets.
- Wednesday 10 February 11am-12noon: Join HRG curator Elissa Blair for exhibition insights. FREE. Bookings essential.
- Sunday 28 February 11am-12noon: a selection of artists from The New Quilt will talk about the inspiration and process for creating their works.
Meet the Artist Thursdays 1-3pm
Each Thursday throughout the exhibition, apart from 1 April, an artist (or two!) will be in attendance at Hawkesbury Regional Gallery from 1-3pm. Here’s the program:
- 11 February: Amie Andrews and Marilyn Andrews
- 18 February: Sophie Conolly
- 25 February: Rachaeldaisy Dodd and Judi Nikoleski
- 4 March: Lorraine Parker
- 11 March: Barbara Gower
- 18 March: Brenda Gael Smith and Lisa Walton
- 25 March: Alison Muir and Carolyn Sullivan
- 1 April: No Meet the Artist Thursday
- 8 April: Helen Gray (TBC)
If you can’t make it to Hawkesbury Regional Gallery, you are welcome to join us for the Meet the Artist Zoom Event from 7-8.30pm on Thursday 18 February 2021. More than a dozen artists will share their artwork followed by an open Q&A session. All welcome! Bookings essential. Book now!