QuiltNSW is excited to relaunch The New Quilt at Hawkesbury Regional Gallery, Windsor, NSW from 5 February – 11 April 2021.
This juried survey exhibition showcasing the art of quilting is open to any textile artist resident in Australia whether or not they are QuiltNSW members. Think big, think bold – be adventurous! Note:
- there is no prescribed theme – submit your best work reflecting your creative practice
- a quilt means stitched and layered materials using any technique
- the quilt must be your original non-traditional design
- 2-D, 3-D, installation work, ceiling hung work, work on stretcher bars, and framed work will be eligible subject to certain size restrictions
Jurors: Judy Hooworth, Anna Brown and a representative of Hawkesbury Regional Gallery.
- Download: Conditions of Entry & Entry Form Checklist (PDF) or see below.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 2018: announcement of call for entries
- 1 July 2020: online entry form opens
- 2 October 2020: online entry form closes at 5pm
- 16 November 2020: notification of selection by e-mail
- 15 January 2021: final date for delivery of artwork
- 5 February 2021: exhibition opens
- 11 April 2021: exhibition closes
- 30 April 2021: dispatch works back to artists
Join the New Quilt mailing list:
Conditions of Entry
Download: Conditions of Entry & Entry Form Checklist (PDF)
- Entry is open to all textile artists resident in Australia.
- Quilts must not have been previously exhibited anywhere in Australia. However, there is no restriction on prior publication. QuiltNSW encourages artists to share their process and work on social media.
- For this exhibition, a quilt means layered and stitched materials using any technique. 2-D, 3-D, free-standing work, installation work, ceiling hung work, work on stretcher bars, and framed work are eligible for entry subject to these size restrictions:
- Minimum perimeter (2D works, work on stretcher bars and framed works): 300 cm excluding any frame
- Maximum height: 2.75 metres
- Maximum width: 3 metres
- Depth up to 2 metres
- Suspended work must be able to hang from the ceiling. Maximum weight: 15 kg
For unusually sized or shaped quilts, or works requiring difficult or unusual installation, please contact QuiltNSW before submitting your entry to verify the ability of Hawkesbury Regional Gallery to display your entry should it be selected. Work which includes perishable material will not be considered.
- The quilt must be the entrant’s original non-traditional design, not a copy or a variation on the original design of another artist working in any medium. All work must be the result of independent effort (a single artist or a collaboration). Work must not be the product of an instructional setting in which a teacher has provided guidance and/or suggestions.
- Entries must be submitted via the online entry form by 5pm (EST) Friday 2 October 2020 at quiltnsw.com. A non-refundable entry of $35 (QuiltNSW members)/$50 (non-members) is payable for a maximum of two quilts. Selected artists must pay a further fee of $30 per selected quilt. Payment via this form is by credit card only.
- By submitting an online entry form, the artist agrees to accept these conditions.
- Entrants must submit two images for each 2D/wall hung quilt, one showing the overall work with all edges visible and one detail shot. For each 3-D, installation work, pieces which hang from the ceiling, work on stretcher bars, framed work entry, submit one overall front image, one overall rear or side view image and one detail image. Videos will not be accepted as images.
- Images must be in JPG format and at least 1800 pixels on the longest side. (Larger is fine so long as the overall file size does not exceed 5MB). JPG files must include the following details as the file name: LastnameInitital-ShortTitle.jpg Images must be of high quality and suitable for publication in the exhibition catalogue.
- Up to two works of per artist may be selected. The jurors’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. A collaborative work is counted as one of the two artworks each artist may have selected.
- All entrants will by notified by e-mail by 16 November 2020.
- At the sole discretion of the New Quilt subcommittee, QuiltNSW reserves the right not to include or display any work that differs from the images and information submitted for selection.
Delivery & Exhibition
- Selected quilts must be delivered by Friday, 15 January 2021. Delivery and return instructions will be advised following selection.
- Selected artists will be responsible for all costs incurred in delivery and return of selected quilts including the cost of packaging, freight and any insurance. All shipments must include pre-paid return shipping (eg stamps) and address mailing label.
- Quilts will be insured at Hawkesbury Regional Gallery for the duration of the exhibition. Otherwise all works are exhibited at the artist’s own risk. Neither QuiltNSW nor any QuiltNSW representative is liable for any loss, damage or destruction of exhibition items however such loss, damage or destruction is caused, including any negligent act or omission, fault or cause.
- Quilts must be delivered ready to display with a 10cm rod pocket (if applicable) and a back label with artist’s name, address and telephone number and the title of the work.
- Work may be for sale. Hawkesbury Regional Gallery charges a 20 % commission on all sales and QuiltNSW charges a 10% commission. The artist must provide an ABN or Statement by a Supplier before the opening date. Selected artists will be further advised.
- The artist certifies that the quilt submitted is his/her own original work and design. The artist warrants that the intellectual property rights of any third party will not be infringed and that all necessary permissions, including those from any applicable royalty-collecting agency, are obtained.
- QuiltNSW and Hawkesbury Regional Gallery reserve the right to reproduce, adapt and communicate to the public in any medium the images and text of the artist’s work for publicity, catalogues and other appropriate purposes in connection with the exhibition.
- QuiltNSW and Hawkesbury Regional Gallery reserve the right to present an online exhibition of the artists’ work on quiltnsw.com and/or www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au/gallery and/or any other on-line or electronic media.
- QuiltNSW and Hawkesbury Regional Gallery reserve the right to retain a digital record of images of selected work and text for archival, educational, promotional or other appropriate purposes.
- QuiltNSW and Hawkesbury Regional Gallery will not be responsible for:
- royalty payments for photographs reproduced in any medium, before, during or after the exhibition; or
- any damage or loss suffered by any person due to infringement of copyright.
Entry form checklist:
- Artist website
- Number of entries
- Current QuiltNSW member?
For each entry:
- Name of artist(s) – solo or collaborative work?
- Title of Work
- Dimensions: HxWxD cm (excluding any frame)
- Framed works: total dimensions including frame
- Statement (50 words)
- Materials (25 words)
- Techniques (25 words)
- Overall image: jpg format at least 1800 pixels longest side: LastnameInitial-ShortTitle.jpg
- Detail image: jpg format at least 1800 pixels longest side: LastnameInitial-ShortTitle-detail.jpg
- Third image: one overall rear or side view image: only applies to 3-D, installation work, pieces which hang from the ceiling, work on stretcher bars, framed work entries.
- Photographer credit – if photo is not by the artist
- Year of completion – this is for information only, there is no specific date requirement
- Exhibition details – if work has been exhibited outside Australia.
- Is the quilt for sale?
- If yes, sale price including 30% commission and GST (if applicable)
- If no, artist stated insurance value
Declaration: I declare that the quilt(s) submitted is my own original design (not a copy or a variation on the original design of another artist working in any medium) and no other person has copyright in it. I have read and accept the Conditions of Entry. I agree to my quilt(s) being exhibited at Hawkesbury Regional Gallery.