Upcoming Workshops: What a start to 2020!!!
We are delighted to be hosting
- Jenny Haynes of Papper, Sax, Sten for two workshops in March 2020: There are a couple of spots – left in the Saturday workshop but you’ll have to be quick!!! Sunday workshop is FULL.
- Kat Jones of Two Cats Quilts is visiting in February 2020 from Tasmania to deliver a workshop of her Modern Bias Applique Techniques. Registrations Open Monday 9 December 10AM
MEMBERS MAY ONLY BOOK FOR ONE JENNY HAYNES WORKSHOP
Online Bookings Only : Bookings Open Monday 2 December 2019 – 10AM
Modern Bias Applique Techniques with Kat Jones
Sunday 9 February – 10am – 4pm – Drummoyne Community Centre – $60/members $100/non-members
Bookings Open Monday 9 December 2019 – 10AM- Book Here
This class introduces students to various techniques of working with ½ inch and variable width bias binding applique in a fun and modern way. In a 1 day class Students start 3 fat quarter sized (perfect cushion) projects to learn each technique or can choose to work on a one improvisational piece using multiple techniques.
Class also includes Kat’s technique for creating applique dots which she uses extensively in her bias applique quilts and discussion of design approaches Kat uses in creating her mandala quilts.
Thistles, Cogs & Caterpillar Wheels
Saturday 28 March – 10am – 4pm – Powerhouse Museum – $120
Bookings Open Monday 2 December 2019 – 10AM- Book Here
In this class we will sew no-pin machine-pieced curves in three sizes plus FPP (Foundation Paper Piecing) using Freezer paper.
We will make blocks based on the ones in my Modern Times Quilt (Quilt Con 2019) but the participants will build and design their own Thistles or Cogs to make a bouquet or clockwork creature.
The curves are sewn using no pins, glue or tape.
- The participants will learn how the different blocks are designed and put together, this way the different parts can be shifted and moved to change the look of the block.
- We’ll cover cutting, sewing and pressing curves. All three sizes (1 3/4″, 3 1/2″ and 7″) are sewn using no pins, glue or tape.
- They’ll get to play with my Drunkard’s Path Template, a tool that makes precise blocks that are easy to piece together.
- We will also cover all the stages of Foundation Paper Piecing using Freezer Paper, how to prep the paper, what stitch length to use, how to best put the block together and more.
- Participants will leave with the confidence, knowledge and freedom to design their own version of the Modern Times Quilt.
A Hole Lotta Luv- Curves and Angles
Sunday 29 March – 10am – 4pm – Powerhouse Museum
THIS WORKSHOP IS FULL
In this workshop we’ll play with perspective. With use of angles and a few variations of the Drunkard’s Path block we build what I call ‘holes and pegs in boxes’. But there will be lots of room for creative interpretation and help from me to build your own block.
We’ll cut curves using my Drunkard’s Path templates and I’ll share my tips and tricks on how to sew no-pin machine-pieced curves in different sizes.
Piecing the blocks and achieving perfectly matching seams is made easy with the templates.
- How to confidently sew curves using no pins.
- Cutting big and small curves using perspex templates.
- Sew curves/ovals where the ease is different at one end of the curve compared to the other.
- Pressing curves.
- Perfect seam-matching when seams are pressed open.
- How to use the Drunkard’s Path block to design your own unique perspective quilt.